Cleansing the body of accumulated toxins can vary from gentle to very intense. Let’s start with the gentle versions.
During the winter, we tend to eat heavier food to compensate for the cold climate we have to contend with. Cleansing can be as simple as lightening up on your food choices.
Four foods to focus on for spring cleaning:
- Lemon: start your day with hot water and lemon
- Leafy greens: make salads a part of your daily food choice
- Fruits: eat fruits of every colour
- Vegetables: look for anything that is fresh and lighten up on the root veggies
Four foods to avoid:
- White flour
- Fatty foods
- Reduce meat consumption, try a vegetarian meal in your weekly menu
General herbal cleanses There are quite a few to choose from and are great for hearty people with generally good health. If you have some health challenges, it is best to have a personalized plan that can prepare your body to handle the toxins that will be released during the cleanse.
Specialized cleanses These are focused on the organs of elimination, and help to get them working properly before you stir up too much in a larger cleanse.
- Liver cleanse: This is often a good place to start as your liver has to process anything your body releases during a cleanse. You know it is time to do a liver cleanse if you have a tendency to get angry or frustrated and have a little extra handle above your belly button.
- Colon cleanse: If you have a tendency to be a little backed up, make sure you are eliminating. If your bowels are backed up and you start a cleanse, it is like sweeping the dust on your garage floor without opening the door.
- Kidney cleanse: There are herbs specific to kidney cleansing and health, and it is appropriate to focus on this area if you have to go all the time, you have pain in your low back or are suffering from incontinence.
- Skin: this is an organ of elimination, as well. Dry skin brushing stimulates the skin and removes the dead skin cells. Sweating eliminates toxins, so exercise till you sweat or enjoy far infrared sauna.
Homeopathic detoxification These are usually gentle and will take a little more time. If you have a sensitive system, this is where I would usually start.
The intense cleanses include fasting, colonics and purging. Please follow the guidance of a health care provider if this appeals to you.